Date:      Thu, 08 May 1997 22:26:21 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.0 SNAPshots on ftp.freebsd.org

Well, it looks like someone other than myself got to break sysinstall
for this snap (not to name names, but the CVS repository will point up
the guilty party :-) - using the (A)ll disk option will now core dump
sysinstall in the 970505 sources (and it's still broken in -current
but I expect a fix to be committed shortly).

Hmph.  I'm sorry folks, and I don't really know what to say, but it's
effectively the case now that 3.0-970505-SNAP is unusable with a very
often-used installation option and so I will now withdraw it from
ftp.freebsd.org.

Since doing this on a regular basis also sucks, I think that I will
call a halt to all further 3.0-SNAPs for the time being until I can
evolve a better way of dealing with this.  My feeling is that our best
solution will be to find some VERY KIND PERSON [hint hint :-)] to
allow us to use their PPro-200 box to build and offer for FTP daily
3.0-SNAPs in much the same way that the releng22.freebsd.org
(admin1.calweb.com) machine does it for the 2.2 branch.

That way people can just grab the snap-o-the-day and see what they
think of it.  If one looks especially functional, we can also copy it
to ftp.freebsd.org in much the same way we do with the RELENG 2.2
stuff but it will *not* be the most definitive version, that will
remain on the SNAP-server.

Thoughts?  Anyone care to donate some CPU time, disk space and network
connectivity to host this service?  Basically, it's gotta be at least
a mid-speed Pentium Pro or a fast Pentium (200Mhz), have at least
800MB of disk storage to spare and be T1 or better connected to the
net.  Anything less and really, honestly, you don't want to go
there. ;-)

Thanks!

					Jordan