Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:37:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Automatically cvsupdating?

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> If I would like to run cvsup every night or so, and have the output
> sent to a certain email address, how would I do that? Should I just
> install a script in /usr/local/share/etc/rc.d/ or is there a better
> way of doing this?

my fave suggestion is to use crontab to run 'make update' from /usr/src.

be sure you read through /etc/defaults/make.conf, and read up on how this
works. you'll need to adapt or create your own cvsup config files to make
this work properly.

my crontab entry tends to be *very simple*

### update source code, 2am, mon, wed, fri
0 2 * * mon,wed,fri (cd /usr/src ; make update)

there's not much more to it, other than making sure your files are set up
in /etc/make.conf or /etc/defaults/make.conf.

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a gillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan