Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:50:22 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Jay Chandler <chandler@chapman.edu>
Cc:        Jeff MacDonald <bignose@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dell PE 1950 - Only seeing 3.2 gigs of ram

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 02:42:59PM -0800, Jay Chandler wrote:
> Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I put a fresh install of 6.1-RELEASE on a dell poweredge 1950 server.
> >It's configured with 4 gigs of ram.
> >
> >However when I boot i get the following right before DMESG
> >
> >786432k above 4GB ignored
> >
> >Which is strange, but then dmesg shows this
> >
> >real memory  = 3489300480 (3327 MB)
> >avail memory = 3414659072 (3256 MB)
> >
> >Soo I'm at a bit of a loss.
> >
> >Jeff.
> >
> Same platform, same error.  Anyone else have a clue for me?

Part of the 32-bit address space is reserved for various
I/O-devices.  This means that a 32-bit OS will not be
able to use all 4 GB of RAM but only a smaller amount (usually
around 3.5 GB.)

If you were to use a 64-bit OS it would probably be able to access
all of the RAM if some of it is remapped to above the 4 GB
line. (There is usually an option in the BIOS to do this remapping.)

(This information is provided by most motherboard manufacturers
and many computer manufacturers (including Dell) in some FAQ. )

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson