Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 00:16:43 -0500
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        Petko Popadiyski <petko@freebsd-bg.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "live versions of freebsd"

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:41:01PM +0200, Petko Popadiyski wrote:

> hi all,
> I want to ask if anyone knows about the set of tools which make
> freebsd ready to run on CDs.

I've been using the following for almost a year:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~bsd/cdroot/

While not highly polished, it's pretty straight-forward to set up and
use.  The above provides a script to create a freebsd directory
structure that can be burned onto a CD and used as the root
filesystem.  When booting from the resultant CD, you can also provide
a /etc/* on a floppy disk and anything on the floppy will override
that on the CD which makes the system very flexible.  I've used this
setup primarily for custom install CDs that contain a FreeBSD
distribution in /dist on the CD (/etc/inst on the CD is a rudimentary
installer), and also as a CD-ROM based firewall (which uses a floppy
disk with /etc overrides to provide firewall rules, etc).

-Brian