Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 18:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/21826: ARP proxy feature lacks documentation

The following reply was made to PR docs/21826; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To: Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bernd.luevelsmeyer@heitec.net>
Cc: Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 18:26:34 -0700

 On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 03:07:22AM +0200, Bernd Luevelsmeyer wrote:
 > Thanks. I tried that already, to no avail. The gateway answered ARP
 > requests as intended but didn't forward the traffic, just as with 'arp
 > -s'.
 > Hence, the documentation issue about the /etc/rc.conf feature
 > "arpproxy_all" remains.

 Err, what do you want to do?  ARP proxying is just to allow a gateway to
 lie to hosts who's idea of network layout doesn't match reality.  The
 gateway must handle packet forwarding seperatly.

 Clearly this needs to be documented, but I'm not sure you're looking for
 the right thing.

 -- Brooks