Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:32:49 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org
Subject:   Re: How to create a .la file?

On 20 Apr 2006 09:44:22 -0400
Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net> writes:
>
> > trying to upgrade gimp from ports, the build process failed with:
> >

> > libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXcursor.la' or
> > unhandled argument `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXcursor.la'
> >
> > libXcursor.la is usually provided by x11/libXcursor, but this port conflicts
> > with xorg-libraries.
> >
> > xorg-libraries doesn't provide this file. how do I create it from the
> > existing libXcursor.so|.a  ?
>
> You shouldn't need to.  It shouldn't need it.
> On my fairly stock -STABLE system with the latest xorg from the port,
> gimp links against libXcursor.so.1.
>
> Perhaps you have some other ports needing upgrading?

ah, but there lies the problem, i think - libXcursor installs files
already installed by org-libraries (and the extra .la file). the issue is that
libXcursor depends on xproto and xextensions which break the build of a number
of ports I use (firefox,etc).

I'm trying now by using pkgtools.conf to replace xproto and xextensions with
xorglibraries.... if I knew how to create a .la file, then libXcursor could be
replaced too by xorglibraries...

am I right in my understanding that libXcursor / xproto / libXau / xextensions
and others are the XFree86 (and therefore older) equivalents of
xorg-libraries?

thanks :)
Beto