Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:47:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "Bernardo M. Brummer" <bbrummer@solar.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usb cr-r & adsl connection

I can only help with the CD-R.  I have a Sony Spressa USB CD-RW drive that
I can use with cdrecord as a scsi device.  I do not however recommend
anyone ever buy that drive.  It sucks.
	You're going to want to run the latest -stable code (see the
section in the handbook on cutting edge.) and then plug in the usb
drive.  See what comes up in your dmesg.  If it comes up as a cd device
then you should be able to get it to work.  I believe some usb cd drives
will be seen as a scsi device and others as an atapi device. If you see
acd something it is seen as an atapi, cd0 or something it is a scsi
device.
	Mine comes up as scsi so I installed the cdrecord port, and use
it.  Use burncd in the base system for an ATAPI drive.  For mine I type:
tim# cdrecord -scanbus
to see where the drive is.  It comes up at 0,0,0 so the cdrecord command I
use to write is:
#cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0 4.2-RC1-install.iso

It does work, but I get a lot of errors in the fixating stage.  The cd-r I
burn can mount and seems to have everything, but it fails to verify as
100% correct.  SO it doesn't work perfectly yet.  USB support is still
improving.  I'm going to Spain for a month, so perhaps I will try the
latest -stable code when I get back, and maybe the USB support is improved
enough to get the drive to work perfectly.

						Tim