Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 13:16:30 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, keith@mail.telestream.com
Subject:   Re: Off Topic Solaris question

I've heard lots of bad about the x86 version of Solaris but I was in the
same situation as you.  I had received Solaris 7 through Sun's "free"
promotion (yeah right, $75 just for the media, luckily someone else paid
for it) and thought what the hell, I'll install it on this old Pentium 90
(with a P333 you'll be happy).

Anyway, it looks a lot like SPARC Solaris but I don't really know.  It's
fairly easy to install and setup but just be warned that it comes with
nothing, NOTHING.  When I was done I joked with some friends that this box
should be called Gnu/Solaris because of all the Gnu utilities.

Become familiar with the pkgadd command, especially "pkgadd -d. <name of
package".  Also, you can find LOTS of utilities at:

<http://www.sunfreeware.com>;

Also, after you install, immediately check Sun's sites for updates.  I had
to download a 16MB "patch" for Solaris 7.

Oscar