Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:01:54 -0500
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mergemaster

I've been using these args for mergmaster:

# mergemaster -v -t /tmp/merge.mmdd -w 120 2>&1 | tee /tmp/merge.root

We have these out-of-band console modems (serial) that we connect to, in
order to perform system updates.   The problem we're running into is that
when mergemaster scrolls stuff (diffs) across the screen (especially
sendmail.cf diffs), the characters cause the OOB modem to lock up.

Last night, I ended up having to travel to our co-lo and do maintenance
from the screens through 4am.  Not a happy camper.

I'm wondering if there is some way to suppress the build or comparison/diff
of certain packages... or even the scrolling diff output of mergemaster.

For example, we build and maintain our own sendmail and named.  Even though
we have /etc/make.conf configured not to build sendmail, we still run into
the need to diff when performing mergemaster.   It seems there must be a
way to avoid this.

I'm sure I'm not the only one bitten by this little problem.  Luckily it
doesn't happen a lot, but when it does (at 4:00am) it really does :)

Thanks,

_F