Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 21:15:48 -0000
From:      "DSA-JCR" <jcrdsa@dsa.es>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Newbie to FreeBSD questions about configuring networks and ISDN

Hi all:

FIRST; I would like to say that I like very much the FreeBSD O.S.
Well done, to all that make it possible.

Well, some questions:

I am new to FreeBSD, not to Unix (well in the SCO Xenix times, in a remote
galaxy ....) and I am developper of Windows Solutions.
Now on, I am configuring a CyberCafe and I choose FreeBSD to be the server
OS and like a gateway to the Internet for the Windows ME network.

I would like to have the following configuration and I would like to know if
it is possible.

The server is P III 1Ghz 256Mb 30Gb
It will have 2 net cards, one for incoming data from the local net and
another to go out to the NET through a ADSL.

Technical Questions:

- I think that FreeBSD can work with this conf., isn't it?
- How can I tell the OS that I have 2 net cards?, When I install it only
sees one, Why ? Maybe the card manufacturer ? Is a Ovislink (but the chip is
a Realtex => driver rl0). if not How can I install a second nic ?
- Is better and safe to have 3Com nics?
- And what about the 3Com 3C982-TXM OfficeeNet 10/100 with TWO RJ-45 ?, Can
it works fine in FReeBSD?
- In the case that the ADSL fails, I have an external ISDN router, I need a
Third nic for this ?
- What about if I use an internal ISDN card ? better than ISDN router ?
- And if I want to do some "on-demand" conection, I mean if the ADSL doesn't
work, automatically goes to IDSN and put it to work and connect by this
card/router. When the ADSL is ok again leaves the ISDN. Can this be done ?
How ?
- If a card manufacturer has drivers for Linux, Can I install and use them
under FreeBSD ?
- If I want to install the last version of GNOME, for example, in the GNOME
web there is no port to FreeBSD, what must I do ?

Another type of questions :

- Is there anyone out there, with a config like this for a cybercafe working
? What is your experience ?
- Are there games that can be served in a FreeBSD server and played in
Windows ? (I don't know very much about games,  I only program, and program,
and program, .....) ;o]
- I would like to give e-mails accounts to the users, Can I do with FreeBSD
(I suppose yes), which program may I use ? (there are so many)
- For my local net, I must give IP numbers compliant to RFC 1918, isn't ?

NO more today, tomorrow more, ;o]

Thanks´a lot in advance

Juan Coruņa Rodriguez
Desarrollo de Software Atlantico SL