Date:      Sun, 11 May 1997 12:17:04 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: socketpair()

As David Nugent wrote:

> pipe() should too, I think. I've never come across an implementation
> that doesn't. Or, at least it doesn't seem to matter which returned
> handle you use for reading and which for writing.

All FreeBSD versions before this did (translates into ``FreeBSD < 2.2''):

RCS file: /home/cvs/src/sys/kern/uipc_syscalls.c,v
Working file: /sys/kern/uipc_syscalls.c

revision 1.11
date: 1996/01/01 10:28:21;  author: peter;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -3
Make pipe() return a set of bidirectional pipe fd's rather than one-way only
just like on SVR4.

This has no effect on any current programs in our source, but makes
the use of SVR4 code a little easier.  There is no code or implementation
cost in the kernel.. This two-line change merely sets the modes on the ends
of the pipes to be bidirectional.  There are no other changes.

--
cheers, J"org