Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:30:57 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Julian Stacey <jhs@jhs.muc.de>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF rtld and environment variables...

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 02:00:46PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> > No, that's the one case where they help.  But people aren't trying to
> > squeeze whole systems into small disks anymore;
>
> Really?  News to me...

Well, even if there are/were folk who want tiny disk footprints,
and crunching everything isn't going to do the whole job, wouldn't
a compressed filesystem be a better way to approach this?  At least
that way you'd still be able to page from the executable(s), and
all of the on-disk data would bennefit too.

(I've read serious suggestions in comp.arch that it could be
benneficial to compress DRAM, with hardware decompression/
compression on the way in and out of cache...)

--
Andrew