Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:42:33 -0600
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tape in "frozen" state?

I've been attempting to run and install Amanda for backups.  Just now,
while trying to run some checks, I received the following error:

(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): tape is now frozen- use an OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM
command to clear this state.

When I attempt to issue the "mt -f /dev/nrsa0 status" command, I get:

Mar 30 12:41:05  /kernel: (sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): tape is now frozen- use an
OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM command to clear this state.

I have tried "mt rewind", "mt eom", "mt offline", different tapes, even
rebooting the machine, but nothing works.

Any ideas?  Suggestions?

Oscar

"Don't believe the hype"