Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:07:43 -0400
From:      Steve Kudlak <chromexa@ovis.net>
To:        "Nelson, Trent ." <tnelson@switch.com>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD usage in safety-critical environments

"Nelson, Trent ." wrote:

> [Please include me directly as I'm not on the list]
>
> Hi,
>
>         Has anyone had any experience with deploying FreeBSD in
> safety-critical environments?  Has any work been done attempting to certify
> FreeBSD to any particular SIL?  Is there any intention to do such a thing?
>
>         If not FreeBSD, I'd be interested to hear if any has had exposure to
> other BSD flavors being used in safety-critical environments.
>
>         I've just been shown a report at work that has been commissioned by
> the UK Health & Safety Executives and sponsored by the UK Ministry of
> Defense and Safety Regulation Group of the UK Civil Aviation Authority
> undertaking a preliminary assessment of Linux for safety-related systems.
> The report 'identifies' that it would be possible to certify Linux to SIL 1
> and SIL 2 quite easily, and SIL 3 with a little work.
>
>         I'd hate to think that this would be an arena where BSD couldn't
> compete.  I'd also hate to think that the tendency for big players such as
> the MoD or DoD etc to lean towards Linux is based on the general Linux
> 'hype', rather than technical merit...
>
>         Regards,
>
>                 Trent.

Well I don't know if this belongs on questions or hackers but the
question has enough technical merit to be interesting. For example
to what level has BSD been certified. I remember doing this consulting
project and mucking with the "low grade" in  my opinion C-2 security
that Sun OSes had and finding bugs in things like FTP logging and
the like. I now do other things so I don't worry about that. :) But it
is an interesting issue. I wonder if we should move it to chat?

Have Fun,
Sends Steve