Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:02:11 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Tony Rimovsky <tony@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, netdev@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad T20 rejects FreeBSD  Was: FreeBSD 4.1 on IBM Thinkpad T20

At 9:13 AM -0500 10/10/00, Tony Rimovsky wrote:
>Can you get your hands on a T20 with FreeBSD on it that works?
>I'd like to find out as much about how it is configured as
>possible (disk layout, bios version, hardware rev., etc.)

We would have had the first BIOS revision, whatever that was.

I still haven't found someone who's free yet, but another
question came in from someone who worked with our install
but doesn't have a T20 of his own.

What version of freebsd have you been trying?  In our case,
the CS dept and the student ACM put together something which
initially was 4.1-stable as of the last weekend in August.
They also added some work of their own, as we have this
screwy 3com ethernet card which neither Linux nor FreeBSD
had drivers for.  One of the students wrote the freebsd
driver for that card.

They soon moved up to an image based a 4.1.1-stable, after
4.1.1 release (obviously...).  That also has worked.

Anyone who then decides to install WinNT and add freebsd
is hosed up in the manner that you're seeing.  As far as
I know, that's only been about three or maybe four people.
(we have at least forty running Win98+FreeBSD, and maybe
another 40 running Win98+Redhat).

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute