Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 22:00:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Kevin Ma <ma_kevin@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thai

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Kevin Ma wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I'm thinking about setting up an e-commerce site.
>I heard about FreeBSD from OpenSource, striking me very much for even
>Hotmail and Yahoo are running on it (true?).

Yes true. But don't blame us for Hotmail. :)

>However:
>1) What is the difference btw. Linux and FreeBSD?

This has been answered to many times. They are both good. Linux is
licensed under GPL. FreeBSD is licensed under BSD.

>2) Can applications written for Unix run on FreeBSD?

Yes and many are.

OBTW, FreeBSD _is_ unix with a lower case "u". Also, there are many
companies that use the trademark "Unix" with a upper case "u" but that
doesn't mean that they are at all compatible.

>3) Can applications written for Windows or Linux run with FreeBSD?

Yes and many are. Moreover, FreebSD can run Linux binaries directly
without recompiling. Netscape for example runs on Windows, Linux, and
FreeBSD.

>4) The site has to be in Thai so I need databases, accounting system,
>etc. in Thai too. Can English software for FreeBSD be adapted to handle
>Thai easily?

Easily? There is a lot of translation work. The source code for most
FreeBSD software is available so it can be done. Also, since most internet
software development is done by people all over the world, a large amount
of internationalization is done for lots of software.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells
Jason Wells	| "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither