Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 06:49:26 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@Dataplex.NET>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        kpielorz@tdx.co.uk, eivind@yes.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Never ending 'make clean' in kde port?

At 4:20 PM -0500 10/11/98, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> * Nope, your right - I let it run again, it wasn't quite endless - just 60+
> * lines... Following the files through I think I can see what's happening,
> * dependants that depend on stuff that's already depended on (but gets
> * cleaned again anyway)... ;-) Not quite a mess, just a bit convoluted <G>
>
>Well, if someone wants to submit a patch to fix this, I'm all ears. :)

This is a clear case of the evils of "recursive make".
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html

The recommended solution is to transfer the "clean" operation to the top
of the ports tree and do it in one "make" at that point. This allows "make"
to resolve the multiple target references and do them only once.

I can supply a prototype. I will offer to implement it (post 3.0 release) if
 the changes will get committed.

Richard Wackerbarth