Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:44:40 -0700
From:      "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To:        "'Lowell Gilbert'" <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Linux emulation: acd0a is not a cooked ioctl CDROM

Lowell wrote:
> "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to> writes:
>=20
> > Do you believe that the ATAPI/CAM patches at=20
> > http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/ might make cdparanoia=20
> > compatible with an ATAPI drive on FreeBSD?
>=20
> Probably.
>=20
> >                                            I guess that=20
> would mean the=20
> > patches would have to provide the "cooked ioctl" that cdparanoia=20
> > wants.
>=20
> Not necessarily.  Also not important.

Thanks everybody for their help. I made some progress. After installing
the ATAPI/CAM patches on FreeBSD 4.6.2, cdparanoia now sees my ATAPI
CDROM drive, though cdparanoia can't read from the drive because
cdparanoia erroneously believes that the drive does not support CDDA.

I have verified that I can access the drive using cdda2wav using both
/dev/acd0c (ATAPI) and 0,0,0 (SCSI). [cdda2wav does not seem to support
the /dev/* notation for SCSI CDROM drives].

Output follows. Note the error message about ioctl's at the bottom.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks,
--Lucky Green

------------------
su-2.05b# ./cdparanoia -vsQ
cdparanoia III release 9.7 (December 13, 1999)
(C) 1999 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                CDROM sensed: Sony CDU31A or compatible

        TOC entry claims an overly large start offset: massaging.

        TOC entry claims an overly large start offset: massaging.

        TOC entry claims an overly large start offset: massaging.

        TOC entry claims an overly large start offset: massaging.

        TOC entry claims a negative start offset: massaging.

        TOC entry claims an overly large start offset: massaging.

        TOC entry claims a negative start offset: massaging.

        TOC entry claims an overly large start offset: massaging.

        TOC entry claims a negative start offset: massaging.

        TOC entry claims an overly large start offset: massaging.

        TOC entry claims a negative start offset: massaging.

        TOC entries claim non-increasing offsets: massaging.

        TOC entries claim non-increasing offsets: massaging.

        TOC entries claim non-increasing offsets: massaging.

        TOC entries claim non-increasing offsets: massaging.

        TOC entries claim non-increasing offsets: massaging.

        TOC entries claim non-increasing offsets: massaging.

        TOC entries claim non-increasing offsets: massaging.

        TOC entries claim non-increasing offsets: massaging.

        TOC entries claim non-increasing offsets: massaging. Verifying
drive can read CDDA...

        Unable to read any data; drive probably not CDDA capable.
006: Could not read any data from drive

Cdparanoia could not find a way to read audio from this drive.

su-2.05b# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.11a28 (i386-unknown-freebsd4.6.2) Copyright (C) 1995-2002
J=F6rg=20
Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW4416E        ' '1.0j' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
su-2.05b#
[...]
/var/log/messages shows the following error:

From /var/log/messages:
Oct  9 14:31:43 cheesy /kernel: linux: 'ioctl' fd=3D3, cmd=3D0x5310 =
('S',16)
not=20
implemented
Oct  9 14:31:43 cheesy /kernel: linux: 'ioctl' fd=3D3, cmd=3D0x530e =
('S',14)
not=20
implemented