Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 20:00:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BRIDGE breaks ARP?

Robert Watson wrote:

    > at one point I was experimenting with userland bridging
    > software based on BPF, . . .  An interesting side effect
    > of this was that locally sourced packets that came out of
    > the IP stack would not be bridged, . . .  nodes on either
    > side of the bridge could talk to each other just fine,
    > but not to the bridge *unless* they were talking to the
    > bridge on an IP address configured on the interface on
    > their side of the bridge. . . .  does this behavior sound
    > like something you're experiencing: . . . ? . . .  I.e.,
    > do you see behavior where the bridge is only IP-reachable
    > from one side of the bridge, and not the other?  This might
    > suggest a problem with bridging of software-looped back
    > packets, possibly specific to the interfaces you're using.

If anything, I would appear to be seeing the opposite behaviour, where
hosts can talk to the bridge only if they're on the interface that is
=NOT= configured with an IP address.  Consider the following points:

==> I have the IP address for my bridge cluster configured on rl0
    (an "internal" interface that goes to my main home machine).

==> Hosts contacting my bridge from the Internet at large (going
    through xl0, an "external" interface that goes to my DSL box)
    have no problems.

==> My main home machine (connected to the bridge via rl0, the
    interface which is configured with the IP address) cannot get
    an ARP reply from the bridge for the bridge's own hardware
    address.

I clearly need to try configuring the bridge with the IP address
associated with the other interface, and see what happens.  I'll let
people know what happens when I do this.

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/