Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:22:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        res03db2@gte.net (Robert Clark)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ideas about network interfaces.

> A few ideas that've been in the back of my head.
>
> Would it make sense to have network device names abstracted one layer more?
>
> In other words, would it make it easier for new users, if all network
> drivers were mapped to something like et0?

FWIW, for AIX, Linux, SVR4, Solaris, and other modern OSs, the
names are assigned sequentially, starting with en0, so as to
not require script or other configuration changes.

The (small) risk in this is if you were to blindly change slots
on cards, configure new hardware, or otherwise ignore probe
ordering, and thus confuse two cards (say the inside and the
outside of your firewall).  This is generally a one time
possibility at install or upgrade time, and seems to be worth
the risk, since the inside and outside numbering are going to
be different anyway, and it will just not route packets at all,
rather than compromising your security, except under rare
circumstances, where you have a strange setup AND you rearrange
your hardware.

In any case, most people buy two of the same type of cards,
so you already have the same problem with distinguishing de0
and de1 following a card replug-fest.

> ATM on the other hand, (if I understand it correctly), is aware of its limits.
> It hopefully would not allow itself to be oversubscribed. It either has
> the capacity to handle your traffic, or it does not. But either way it will
> tell you so.

ATM has other problems; remind me to tell you, when we are in
the same room, and you have an hour or so to kill.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.