Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:44:45 +0300
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        Unga <unga888@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0-PRERELEASE installworld fails

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 03:38:16 -0800 (PST) Unga wrote:

> I did above but its still the same story, installworld
> fails:
> cd /usr/src; make -f Makefile.inc1 install
> ===> share/info (install)
> ===> lib (install)
> ===> lib/csu/i386-elf (install)
> cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
> -I/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/../common  -I/usr
> /src/lib/csu/i386-elf/../../libc/include
> -Wsystem-headers -Wall -Wno-format-y2k
> -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arit
> h -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch
> -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wunu
> sed-parameter -Wchar-subscripts -Winline
> -Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls -Wno
> -pointer-sign -c /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crt1.c
> /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crt1.c:33:20: error:
> stdlib.h: No such file or directory

> The only difference what I did compared to your steps:

Please, do just what I suggested and see if it helps.

> 1. After download sources, rebooted to single-user

Single-user mode is not necessary here.

> mode, adjkerntz -i (as my CMOS is set to local time),
> fsck -p, mount -u /, mount -a, swapon -a,

This is not needed at all (but seems to be harmless).

> /usr/local/bin/bash and follow your steps until make

Ah, don't use bash here (upgrade/build OS). Use standard shells.

> kernel (in fact, instead make kernel what I did was:
> kernel-toolchain, buildkernel and installkernel)

> 2. After installkernel, I rebooted to single-user mode
> with the new kernel, adjkerntz -i, fsck -p, mount -u
> /, mount -a, swapon -a,

Those steps are needed at long jumps and should be harmless
here.

> /usr/local/bin/bash and follow

Don't use bash here.

> your steps until make installworld.

> Before execute every step, I checked system time with
> date, they were all local time.

There is no need to check it. Just don't touch time while OS
building/installing.

> Have I deviated too much than you specified?

Yep.

> or is it
> essentially the same?

No.

> Am I supposed to reboot with the
> new kernel after make kernel?

Seems to be "yes" only for very long jumps. Actually I never had to
do it myself.

> What else I could do to identify the cause?

;-) Please, do just what I suggested.

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)