Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:03:23 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virus Filter

Hi Mike

>       Can I do a protect configuration in my server Free to filter de
>atach of the message to don't come a virus in it?
>  Case the atach is  *.pif, *.vbs, *.shs, the server delete it, before
>the user get de messages...
>       Is on firewall? Plis help-me
>
>     Best Regards...

These components can be built into a $99 SMTP in-line A-V scanning
machine, unlimited domains and mailboxes (vs $30K for TrendMicro equivalent):

1. FreeBSD

2. postfix

3. avavis-perl, www.amavis.org

4. a-v scanner for FreeBSD mail servers, KasperskyLab.rom

http://www.kaspersky.com/products.asp?tgroup=0&pgroup=3&id=34

a-v scanning is heavy slogging, (memory, CPU, disk i/o speed (RAID 1
+ O is good), disk storage (incoming mail queue directory for mail
tailback waiting to be scanned) can reduce the throughput of a good
mail relay hub to just 10% or 20% of its non-AV-scanning capacity,
esp if the SMTP traffic has lots of largish attachments.

Len

Http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com: ISC BIND 8.2.2 p5  installable binary for NT4
http://IMGate.MEIway.com:  Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways