Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:48:16 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        ipfreak@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd general questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: upgrade packges

--------------enig2DB580BDDDD52E2031BB7CDC

gahn wrote:
> Hi all:
>=20
> I am trying upgrading some packages and having problems. for example:
>=20
> home# pkg_delete mysql-client-5.0.67
> pkg_delete: package 'mysql-client-5.0.67' is required by these other pa=
ckages
> and may not be deinstalled:
> apache-2.2.9_5
> php5-5.2.6_2
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.22_1
> postfix-2.5.4,1
> subversion-1.5.2
>=20
> ok, if i removed it via "pkg_delete -f" and replace it with new
> version (5.1), then what would happen to packeges like apach2.2.9.5,
> php5-5.2.6_2 ...? are those packages would fail?

Usually you can do something like this:

   portupgrade -o databases/mysql51-client -f mysql-client-5.0.67

which will replace mysql client 5.0.67 with 5.1.26 or whatever the
patch levels have got to, while preserving the records of what depends
on mysql-client.

However, in this specific case, that will cause everything to pretty much=
=20
entirely stop working as there is an issue to do with changing the ABI=20
version number of the MySQL shlib.  In this case you would also have to
go on and do:

   portupgrade -fr mysql-client-5.1.26 -x mysql-client-5.1.26

to relink all of those applications.  Remember too, if you have=20
WITH_MYSQL_VER=3D50 defined in /etc/make.conf then do change it.

You can achieve the same effect with other ports management applications
like portmaster but I'll leave working out the precise command lines as a=
n=20
exercise for the student.

	Cheers,

	Matthew