Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 03:07:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Naumov <jago@telefragged.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/37524: javavm left in memory after exiting mozilla, continuosly gains more cpu usage.

>Number:         37524
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       javavm left in memory after exiting mozilla, continuosly gains more cpu usage.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I've recently installed native FreeBSD JDK 1.3 from ports (/java/jdk13) using the bsd-jdk131-patches-6.tar.gz patchset as well as native FreeBSD Mozilla 1.0rc1 (www/mozilla).

I've noticed that after going to a site containing Java and closing the Mozilla browser afterwards, a process called "javavm" is left running in the background, doing absoutely nothing, but eating a lot of CPU usage. On my T-Bird 1400, within 2 minutes after closing Mozilla, javavm was at 90% CPU usage.
Install native FreeBSD JDK 1.3 from ports (/java/jdk13) as well as native FreeBSD Mozilla 1.0rc1 (/www/mozilla). Go to a site containing Java, like http://java.sun.com or http://www.xsreality.com Close the browser.
>Fix:
No fix known, the only workaround is to remove the symlink pointing from the Mozilla plugin directory to the Java plugin in the JDK13 installation, which obviosly disables Java functionality in Mozilla.