Date:      03 Sep 2002 16:28:44 -0400
From:      Jess Fiorelli <jfiorelli@schwartz-pr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with tftp

Hello.  I'm having some tftp troubles again and though someone might be
able to help.  I got tftp working a few weeks ago after following Dru's
advice, but since them I've installed ipf and ipfw (I don't really want
ipfw running anymore, so it's just running with allow all in and out
rules in place) and now tftp isn't working in or out anymore.

I've got ipf set to allow all traffic from the ip address of the router
to the server, but the tftp requests from the router still aren't
getting through.  I also tried flusing all incoming and outgoing rules
(using "ipf -Fa") and it still isn't able to get through.  I've
restarted the inet daemon multiple times with no results.  The odd thing
is that I still keep getting these messages in the /var/log/messages
file:

Sep  3 15:51:30 ignatius /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP x.x.x.4:53
from x.x.x.4:2011
Sep  3 15:51:33 ignatius /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP x.x.x.4:53
from x.x.x.4:2139
Sep  3 15:51:33 ignatius /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP x.x.x.4:53
from x.x.x.4:2140
Sep  3 15:51:35 ignatius /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP x.x.x.4:53
from x.x.x.4:2271
Sep  3 15:51:36 ignatius /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP x.x.x.4:53
from x.x.x.4:2289
Sep  3 15:51:36 ignatius /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP x.x.x.4:53
from x.x.x.4:2344
Sep  3 15:51:40 ignatius /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP x.x.x.4:53
from x.x.x.4:2626

Why would a random high number port be trying to connect to port 53 on
the same server?  named isn't even installed on this machine and it's
aware of what name server it should be using.  This happens every time I
try to tftp into the server from the router.

Also, this is the line I have in inetd.conf for
tftp    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/tftpd      tftpd -l
-s /usr/tftpboot

thanks
Jess