Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:51:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Marcin Gryszkalis <mgryszkalis@cerint.pl>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: da driver problem?

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Nate Lawson wrote:
>
> > To be more specific, the Qlogic isp* cards ALWAYS require you to load
> > firmware to give full access to the drive and do anything useful.  In the
> > x86 world, the isp boards only have enough code included on board to
> > manage int 13h for bootstrapping the OS and attempting to use them without
> > particular, NetBSD and FreeBSD won't even boot without loading the
> > firmware (kernel hangs after probing the card).
>
> This isn't always the case. Also, if this is the case, where's the PR? Don't
> start rumours, please.

I never filed a PR because I assumed this behavior was what was documented
in ispfw(4).  I don't currently have any isp hw so this may have been
fixed after I used the cards (May-Sept 2001).

ispfw(4):
     ... the isp(4)
     driver will notice that firmware is available to be downloaded onto
     Qlogic cards (to replace the usually out of date firmware on the
     cards).
     This will kick the f/w into getting unstuck.

The problem I was referring to was the fact that for my 2100 and 2200, the
card would get wedged after printing the probe message if a drive was
attached and I didn't load firmware.  Causing a LIP didn't help.  Loading
firmware did work.

[good description of qlogic flash deleted]

> > Perhaps a comment should go into GENERIC above the isp entry saying to
> > be sure to enable ispfw_load?  Or perhaps the hardware notes that go in
> > the release?
>
> well, it would be better that:
>
> a) The install process puts ispfw on the 3rd floppy
>
> b) Only the f/w relevant to a card is pulled in
>
> c) freeing up and unloading modules and reclaiming memory actually worked

All great suggestions.  If b) was part of the probe routine, then
ispfw_load could default to YES.

-Nate