Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 22:36:16 -0700
From:      "Dragon Knight" <dragonknight@dtgnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Need advice on what motherboard to pick (and SCSI controller + drive)

>Doug White writes:
>> > Should I go for an onboard SCSI controller(host adapter)?
>>
>> Your call, depends on how many devices you plan to stuff in there.
having
>> it onboard saves a slot but limits your upgradability.
>
>How does an onboard SCSI limit upgradability? Of one has saved a slot
>then one still has a slot to put yet another SCSI card in. One MB SCSI
>is not going to prevent a card SCSI from working properly.

While on the subject of Motherboards, ones with On-Board controllers
especially, i would like to ask if the Asus P2B-LS would be a good purchase.
And would there be any trouble getting either the SCSI or LAN Adapters
working.  If memory serves the Lan is Intel Etherexpress Pro and I just
can't remember what the SCSI is.  here, i'll post the specs from Asus's
page:

Processor
  Single Slot 1 for Intel® Pentium® II Processor (233MHz-400MHz)

Chipset
  Intel® 100 MHz 440BX AGPset with PIIX4E South Bridge

Bus Architecture
  32-bit PCI Bus, 32-bit AGP Bus and 16-bit ISA Bus Compatible

Expansion Slots
  1 x 32-bit AGP Slot
  4 x 32-bit PCI Slots (PCI Rev 2.1 Interface Compliant)
  2 x 16-bit ISA Slots

Cache
  Processor Built-In 512KB Level 2 Cache

System Memory
  4 x 168-pin DIMM Sockets to Support 8MB to 1024MB SDRAM
  Utilizes 4/8/16/32/64/128/256MB 168-Pin DIMM 3.3V SDRAM
  Features ECC Support
  PC100 (100MHz)Compliant SDRAM Interface

Onboard I/O
  1 x Floppy Port (Up to 2.88MB, 3 Mode)
  2 x Serial Ports (16550 Fast UART Compatible)
  1 x Parallel Port (EPP, ECP Port)
  1 x RJ45 (DK440LX I/O Shield) IrDA TX/RX Header (Optional)

Onboard PCI IDE
  Dual UltraDMA/33 IDE Ports Support Greater than 8.4GB HDD, ATAPI IDE
CD-ROM &
  LS-120

AGP Slot
  Accelerated Graphics Port Slot Supported
  AGP 66MHz/133MHz (Sideband) 3.3V Device

ATX Double Decker
  2 x USB Ports
  1 x PS/2 KeyBoard Port
  1 x PS/2 Mouse Port
  1 x Parallel Port
  2 x Serial Ports
  1 x RJ45
  (DK440LX I/O Shield)

ATX Power Conn.
  3V, 5V and 12V 20-pin ATX Power Connector. Soft Power Support

BIOS
  2M-bit Flash EPROM
  Award® Anti-Boot Virus & PnP BIOS with ACPI, AGP, DMI, Green, Plug and
Play
 Features
  Enhanced ACPI Features for PC98/Win98 Compliance
  Adaptec ® Ultra2 SCSI

Ultra2 SCSI Onboard
  Adaptec ® AIC 7890 & 3860 80MB/s Ultra2 Wide SCSI Onboard (AIC 3860
Optional)

Other Features
  Intel 82558 100/10Mbps LAN Onboard
  Onboard Creative® SB-Link Header
  CPU & Power Supply Temperature Headers
  Chassis Intrusion Heater
  SM Bus Header
  USB Ports

Dimensions
  ATX Form Factor (10.55" x 12")

  External Infrared Module
  This specification is subject to change without notice.

Hrmmm... and as I am about to hit the send button an e-mail arrived
basically saying this board sucks.  I would like to hear any other opinions.

Thanks,
Samuel Greear