Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:47:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        brownm@netscope.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SU

> I have just loaded 2.2.7 on 486DX2 - 66.  It runs great but when I
> telnet into the system the su login stalls.
>
> I type su and the system just sits so I sit and wait but nothing
> happens.
>
> Michael Brown

 Do you happen to have an older Ethernet card in there as well?  And,
if so, do you have any NFS mounted file systems on your PATH.

 If these two are true; it could be a problem there.
I've found that with older cards, particularly slower 8-bit ISA cards,
you need to set the NFS read/write parameters down to 1024 or things "hang."
NFS doesn't  actually hang, it's just that the NFS requests never get
through because of packet-size issues.. so, it's doing a lot of re-requests
that never get satisfied.  Dropping the read/write sizes down allows
the older card to handle things...

 Now, why is this an issue with 'su' - because it's looking down your
PATH to see if there are any issues there when you 'su'.  It's that
look-up that touches the NFS mounted file systems; which in turn "tickles"
the "hang."

	- Dave Rivers -