Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2014 03:22:32 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64 pkg: No packages matching 'gnome2' available in the repositories

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 19:18:41 +0100, CeDeROM wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 6:31 PM, David Christensen
> <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> > How well supported/ current/ complete are the other desktop environments on
> > FreeBSD -- lxde, xfce, whatever?
>
> I use happily XFCE4 for years :-)

Some years ago, I heared that Xfce would become a "Linux only"
environment due to strong ties to Linux system intrastructure
and services. Is there any functionality you've found missing
(for example automount) on FreeBSD?

I'm asking this because old(TM) software could do all the
"bells & whistles" decades ago, like sleeping / powering off
the system, automatically mounting removable media or even
saving whole sessions. It's kind of interesting that this
should not be easily possible anymore... well, "advanced"
technology par excellence... :-)

Many years ago, I've been using XFCE 3 (with Gtk 1.0) as a
replacement for a group of users coming from a CDE (primarily
with a Solaris background). It worked very well and was easy
to configure. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be in the ports tree
anymore. (One of my old PCs still runs it!)

LXDE seems to be _very_ well supported on FreeBSD, I've seen it
on different recent systems (FreeBSD 8, 9, and 10). Different
"convenience features" can be enabled, the bundled applications
(like file manager, if you want to use that) work good. It
also integrates nicely with Gtk applications, but you can also
use KDE programs if you want. There is no direct limitation.

The Gnome 2 descendants, Mate and Cinnamon, don't seem to offer
well enough support to make them real alternatives on FreeBSD
at the moment. :-(

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany