Date:      Sun, 20 May 2007 18:41:36 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Edward Ruggeri <ruggeri@uchicago.edu>
Cc:        free-bsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Random Restarts?

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 11:03:25AM -0500, Edward Ruggeri wrote:
>  Hi,
>=20
>  My system randomly reboots, usually in the evening.  It is definitely no=
t a=20
>  soft reboot, since the filesystems don't get properly dismounted.  My=20
>  suspicion is that it is a heat related issue -- I do leave the computer=
=20
>  running just about all day long, and it has started to get warm.  Then=
=20
>  again, it's coolest in the evening...

Try and install the mbmon port, and see if it works on your machine. If
so, start a cron job that appends mbmon output to a file say every 15
minutes. If it's a heat buildup issue in a monitored component, it would sh=
ow.

I wonder though. My machine usually doesn't need a day to heat up after
a cold start. An hour or so usually suffices.

Other causes could be a spike in the line voltage due to a large device
switching on or off nearby. Or an underrated power supply overloaded
through a cron job.

Roland
--=20