Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:52:13 -0500
From:      Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Post mortum on Gnome2 problem

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 15:13, Tom Parquette wrote:
>

>>Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>>>Try creating a fresh user called gnome, make sure your hostname resolves
>>>in either DNS or /etc/hosts, then try logging in as the gnome user.  If
>>>things fail, get the ~/.xsession-errors file.  This will hopefully have
>>>some useful stuff in it.  Also, it would help to see a list of what's
>>>currently installed on this machine.
>>>
>>>Joe

>>Joe,
>>I looked at ~/.xsession-errors and this was all that was in it:
>>If you do not want to get beeps in X11 (XWindows), you can turn them off
>>with
>>xset b off
>>
>>Reminder, I could not do anything with the machine.  I had to back it
>>up, burn it down, and reinstall EVERYTHING.  I have the backups but I do
>>not have a machine I can lay the backups down on to test.
>>
>>I'm not expecting to get too far with this problem but, I feel, I have
>>to at least try.
>>

>So did you try to create a new user called gnome, and attempt the
>login?  So far, based on this information, there's not much I can do to
>help you.
>
>Joe
>

>>Thanks...

Joe,
No.  I could not recreate the problem because I do not have a machine to
lay the filesystem backups down on to test.  The best I was hoping for
was someone might have seen the symptoms and knew what was going on.
 I'm going to drop this problem.  I want to thank you for taking the
time to try to help.  I appreciate your efforts.
Cheers...