Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 23:11:38 +1000
From:      "Greg W" <greg@ausit.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LT-win modem

Hi

here is a quick little FAQ I was making up ................if you did in
fact buy this modem recently, see if you can exchange it, or see if a
friend wants to do a a swap  (if they have windows of course !)

Q.    How do I get my winmodem to work in Linux or BSD?
A.    You dont, winmodems only work in windows at this stage.

Q.    Should I buy an Internal or external modem ?
A.    See below
Advantages of an External Modem

1. Transportable with minimum fuss
2. Plugs straight into Serial port
3. No messy IRQ's to assign or work out
4. Contains everything within its case to do intended job
5. Can see LED indicators to confirm data flow
6. Can be used as a troubleshooting tool if a second PC/modem is used
7. PC need not be shutdown/dismantled to replace faulty unit
8. Will not slow processor down (compared to winmodem)
9. Keeps one extra slot free for devices that cant be used externally (more
important today as more devices common)
10. Is easier to hear actions such as dial tone etc
11. Much easier to troubleshoot for all
12. Easier identification of modem type and brand
13. No need to do a restart if hardware is not responding
14. In event of power surge, may take the brunt of damage

Disadvantages

1. Costs a little more initially.
2. Reduces number of useable serial ports
3. Older machines may not have the higher speed 16550 UARTS red for
"faster" external modems=A0

Advantages of an Internal Modem

1. Is inside PC case saving clutter