Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:40:01 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Watching DVD's in -stable

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 08:14:47PM -0700, Lamont Granquist wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Scott Lambert wrote:
> > Last night I got VideoLan Client working. vlc-0.2.81  :-)
> >
> > Toshiba Satellite 2805-S201, S3 Savage MX, Toshiba IDE DVD drive.  XF86 4.1
>
> Well, libcss doesn't compile, so I can't test that with xine without
> trying to fix it, and i tried vlc 0.2.81 but vlc dvd:/dev/acd0a pops up a
> window and then immediately segfaults while vlc dvd:/dev/acd0c just hangs.
>
> Oh, running as root they both just segfault...
>
> I seem to be using XF86 4.0.3 -- maybe that's the problem...

I've done "ln -s /dev/acd0c /dev/dvd" but your command line works for me.

Have you tried the -v option to get some debug info?  -v's are additive so
I usually wind up running vlc -vvvv when I have problems.

I could build you a tarball of my binaries.  I'm running the Gnome 1.4
interface.  I'm watching Men In Black in the background right now.

--
Scott Lambert          KC5MLE            Unix SysAdmin -- Looking for work.
lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html