Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:58:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange mouse bahviour in FBSD 4.3 and XFree86 4.1.0

Dear Sirs.

I posted here several postings about a problem with one of our
FBSD 4.3-STABLE boxes. This machine has been cvsupdated today,
XFRee864.1.0_4 has been installed several days ago (by a fresh
compilation).

One of the earlier problems is the following:

I can not shutdown this machine by being remotely loged in
using shutdown -r now. I always have to use shutdown -r -o now
to do the task. On all other maschines that works!

The machine I speak about is a AMD K7 800 MHz based on ASUS A7V
PCB and IBM DTLA 307030. The videoadaptor is a ELSA Erazor III Pro.
See the following dmesg-output .

The new problem is hard to describe. It seems one way like a hardware
fault, but another way the fault of some FBSD subsystems.

Using /dev/sysmouse and moused as the basic mouse system, we have a
Logitech optical USB port mouse attached to this machine. The USB
mouse is connected to a HUB located at a Iiyama 18 inch LCD screen
(bit that doesn't matter, I tried the USB port directly or a PS/2
mouse with the same effect).
On the X11 screen, the mouse rushes uncontrollable over the screen,
jumping, shivers around, not reacting on pressed buttons. It looks
like having used the wrong protocol with earlier XFree types. But there
is no misconfiguration, this configuration worked since approximately I
switched over to XFree86 4.1.0 and/or did a cvsupdate.
When leaving the X-session, Xserver drops a core, reporting something about an
illegal instruction after resetting the mouese!
When in terminal mode (no X), the mouse shivers and jumps also uncontroleable
on the screen. I exchanged the mouese with a simple PS/2 mouse and sometimes
I have a pointer, sometimes not (using sysmouse/moused). In X11 the phenomenon
of a jumping and rushing mouse is not as obvious as with the USB type, but it
is also faulty. The mouse disappears or is unuseable. The kernel reports a mouse
at psm0, but in X (chooser) there is no access/movement of it. Sometimes, while
having luck moving it around, it seems to drop spontanously "button presses"
around.

This machine is without graphical device or mouse accessible and works perfect.
I can use it remotely without problems. It seems really to be related to something
like sysmouse/moused/mouse/XFree86 or FreeBSD's driver for the mouse system.

Does anyone heared about such strange things due a bug of FreeBSD/XFree86 4.1.0?
If not, this really seems to be a massive hardware related problem.

On the other hand:

We have a lot of self-made X11 Terminals around here for our students, based
on a DFI AK74EC main PCB, Duron 700, Gigabyte GA660+ video board, using Logitech
3 button PS/2 mice. They are cvsupdated 7 days ago, XFree86 4.1.0 has been build
several days ago. These diskless booting terminals do not show any kind of disruption
of mouse access or movement ...
--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)