Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:08:51 +1000
From:      Nigel Williams <njwilliams@swin.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multipath TCP for FreeBSD v0.5

Hi Nils,

On 16/09/15 20:52, Nils Beyer wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> Nigel Williams wrote:
>> A new mptcp v0.5 patch is available at
>> http://caia.swin.edu.au/urp/newtcp/mptcp/tools.html.
>
> thanks for the new patch. I've tried your provided VirtualBox VM "FB11-test1".
>
> Unfortunately, standard TCP-connections aren't working. For instance, after I
> execute:
>
> 	fetch -o - 'http://www.google.com'
>
> I get an incomplete transfer that times out after a while. Sometimes I get
> a kernel panic (s. attached screenshot).
>
> Then I tried the patch on real hardware (built my own kernel as described).
> Same behaviour.
>
> Is it intended that the current implementation is not backwards compatible
> to non-MPTCP-connections? If you need any more details, feel free to contact
> me...

Thanks for taking a look at the patch. The patch should be backwards
compatible with TCP, though as you've observed there are still issues
with stalls and crashes (I've only so far done limited testing within my
testbed).

I was able to replicate the stall on one of the VMs - so I'll take a
look at what might be happening. Thanks for letting me know.

cheers,
nigel