Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:26:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      daniel B <danielb@almazs.pacex.net>
To:        Ludo Koren <lk@tempest.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD KERNEL GURUs; Kernel Bridging HELP!

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Ludo Koren wrote:

>      > To start-with I set the firewall 'open' and all machines were
>      > able to ping each other and I was able to even browse the net
>      > from my local LAN BUT there seems to be problem passing packets
>      > from 'ROUTER' to fxp0 VIA fxp1
>
>      >  ROUTER----fxp1-[ firewall ]-fxp0----[ LAN ]
>
>      > some UDP and ICMP packets don't make it from outside(Internet)
>      > to my inside LAN as a result web browsing stalls.  I have tried
>      > to use 'ipfw fwd' rule to forward packets from LAN to router
>      > via fxp1 and vise versa but 'ipfw fwd' seems to work only in
>      > one directions.  Has anybody tried setting up kernel bridging
>      > in FreeBSD that they would like to share with me?  How can I
>      > forward packets between two interfaces in the same box without
>      > routing?
>
> for the moment forwarding is not working together with bridging, AFAIK.
> The purpose of the
>
> sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1
>
> command is to enable dummynet via ipfw. Bridging with open firewall is
> working for me (I have xl0 interface with inet address and ep0
> interface without inet address).

Correct me if I am wrong, dummynet is for use with NAT and if all my
machines have real IPs I don't need to NAT. The problem I am facing is
that I do not want to split my IP subnet any further for the purpose of
routing therefore I need to do kernel bridging.
I assume your ep0 interface (without IP) is connected directly to a router
and is your external interface on the firewall box?

Thanks
and happy new century!

Dan