Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:41:39 -0800
From:      Doug <DougGuy@dal.net>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The popularity meter [Fwd: Re: Suggested OS]

Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> OTOH many people in the FreeBSD lists tend to say Linux is great simply
> because it's free, while we do a better job in most fronts. This
> attitude of not disserning publically which is the technically superior
> solution only tends to create more fanatism around Linux and more stupid
> meters that don't prove anything.

	I have posted several times a detailed account regarding how side by
side tests on our network have proven conclusively that Freebsd is the
best OS for tcp/ip intensive applications, beating out linux (easily),
bsdi, solaris and an assortment of other exotic alternatives. The server
I refer to in my .sig holds the record for all irc servers on all
networks.

	Now ircd is only one subset of what you want to use unix for, however
the fact that freebsd is technically superior for "real work" in a
production environment is good enough for me. :)

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest