Date:      06 Nov 2002 17:11:16 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Ray Kohler <ataraxia@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail without (real) hostname?

Ray Kohler <ataraxia@cox.net> writes:

> Is there any way to get outgoing mail working on a system with a dynamic
> IP and no DNS entries? Mail is sent as it is but of course no one will
> relay it.
>
> All I really want is the ability to use send-pr so I can send patches
> without having them mangled by line-wrapping.

If I understand the question, change the default /etc/mail/freebsd.mc:

< dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `your.isp.mail.server')
---
> define(`SMART_HOST', `yourISPsMailHost.yourISP.net')

And rebuild the two sendmail .cf files in that dir following the README
and maybe the sendmail manpage.  You'll probably have to use "sendmail"
vars from /etc/default/rc.conf and (re)start some sendmail daemons.
It's nasty and I didn't take notes.

And I doubt if send-pr will work without your deciphering the script
to see if it can be fooled with environmental vars or you could modify
it.  I've always just edited a copy of a template PR and then mailed it.