Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:28:49 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Lars Koeller <Lars.Koeller@post.uni-bielefeld.de>
Cc:        Lars Koeller <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Conclusion: Seagate Python firmware and hanging SCBs on 2940!

On Tue, 24 February 1998 at  9:06:57 +0100, Lars Koeller wrote:
> ----------
>
> Oh!

>> On Tue, 24 February 1998 at  8:28:40 +0100, Lars Koeller wrote:
>>> --------
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Just for your information! Don't use any combination of Seagate Python DAT
>>> drives, Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller and FreeBSD or Linux!
>>
>> This is somewhat overstating the case.  I've been using exactly that
>> combination for 15 months, and I've been very satisfied.
>
> Hmmmm! Are you enable tagged comman queuing?

Not explicitly.  I haven't checked.  I'm running pretty much the
latest -CURRENT.

> What software?

tar

> Tar seems to be o.k.

Yup.

> dump most time can recover (better survive) 2 hanging SCB!  But
> software which does continuous write lage blocks (30MB) and have a
> really high optimizing buffer queuing algorithm seems to mak
> problems, please test
>
>     ftp://ftp.zn.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/pub/linux/afbackup-2.11.3.tar.gz

Now that's an interesting viewpoint.  I don't intend to change my
backup patterns, especially since it would promise to make things
worse, but it's a valid comment.  On the other hand, it doesn't mean
you can say "Don't use any combination of Seagate Python DAT drives,
Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller and FreeBSD or Linux!"

Greg