Date:      Sat, 09 Jan 1999 14:03:33 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beep, beep, beep!

Mike Smith wrote:

> > What about "echo \a\a\a", Mike?
>
> \a is magic to the parser, it'll generate 'a'.  I guess that printf()

Yeah, I just checked. I was sure \a was one of the special cases of
parser_backslash....

> probably translates \a correctly (I haven't looked), so it would have
> to be:
>
>         echo "\a\a\a"

Well, THAT wouldn't help (see kern/9397). The only thing quotes
preserve is the space, and it wouldn't have helped anyway, since the
backslashes are removed before any other processing is done.

> or
>
>         echo \\a\\a\\a

Yeah, that would have worked if it had worked (but it didn't). :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Heart like a Gabriel, pure and white as ivory,
	soul like a lucifer, black and cold as a piece of lead."