Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:22:43 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server feels sluggish ...

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 02:35:30AM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>Okay, this has to be the worst report of all time, but one of my ligher
>loaded servers feels more sluggish then the heavy loaded one ... starting
>commands seems to 'hang' for a bit and then go, changing folders in mail
>takes forever, etc ... yet there is about a 1/4 the processes running on
>this system ... so this is more a 'is there something I shuld be looking
>at' kinda email, since I can't pinpoint anything as being wrong, it just
>*feels* sluggish :(

Are you using a VTY console, local X or a network login?  Are the
filesystems local or NFS mounted (I presume local).  If you're using a
network login and/or NFS, it could be a network problem.

I presume you've checked that aacd0 doesn't have a dead disk (which
would make disk I/O very slow).

Does the system have ECC and if so is there a hard correctable error
that is generating lots of additional RAM traffic?

Have you accidently disabled one or both caches?

You could try something like lmbench.  As a collection of
microbenchmarks, it might narrow down the problem.

If you don't find anything else, it might be worthwhile pulling RAM
and/or one of the CPUs and seeing if you can make the problem go away.

Peter