Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:18:56 +0300
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports questions

CC:ports trimmed

>From: John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>
>Hi:
>Thanks for the reply.
>
>I am trying to get a better handle on how ports functions.  I still don't
>quite 'get it.'  If I use pkg_delete, then only that specific package is
>deleted?  None of the additional packages that were added as dependencies
>will be deleted?

No, because other applications can depend on these packages, as it is
quite often the case...

>                 So I have to delete each of these dependent applications
>individually?  Does ports keep a list of the dependent applications
>somewhere so I know what was installed (and thus, what I would need to
>delete)?

Yes, in /var/db/pkg database. Look at this:

# ll /var/db/pkg/gettext-0.10.35
total 5
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    38  3 מגפ 12:19 +COMMENT
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1450  3 מגפ 12:19 +CONTENTS
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   305  3 מגפ 12:19 +DESC
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    21  3 מגפ 12:56 +REQUIRED_BY
# cat +REQUIRED_BY
wget-1.5.3
mc-4.5.42

>         If I wanted to delete an application which another application
>depends on, would I get a warning/option to discontinue?, or would ports
>just rebuild the app the next time I started the xyz port which depends on
>the deleted app?

Yes to warning - pkg_delete will warn You and refuse to delete port,
no to rebuild - the ports collection is not so automated. Personally
I'm thinking this is good...
And You may force deletion by pkg_delete -f PortName.

>Wouldn't it seem that if ports were really 'smart' that it would have an
>associated database that kept track of dependencies so that when a
>port/package is deleted it would prompt the user for permission to delete
>each of the dependent apps that are not needed by other apps on the system?
>This might be only a minor issue for experienced users but it would give
>newbies more confidence in using ports.

For now, cvsup, pkg_version, "print-index" and "search" targets
in /usr/ports/Makefile are Your friends. pkg_version -c can
even generate "prototype" script for updating installed ports,
but beware - it's just a "template", You'll need double check
it before using...

Bye,
Igor