Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:51:40 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Marc Ramirez <mrami@gbtb.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Variant symlinks [was Re: symlink question]

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.990614120238.366E-100000@server.ghostgbtb.com> Marc Ramirez writes:
: Well, I'd like to add versioning, too, but _that's_ hard!

Versioning wouldn't be too hard to add to a filesystem.  Name lookup
would be impacted.  The act of creating a new version would just be
the creat(2) system call, or open with the O_CREAT bit set (and maybe
with the O_TRUNC bit too).  However, adding utilities to deal with all
these new versions might take a lot of time since various versioning
schemes have been implemented in userland over the years (all the foo~
or foo~3~ files from us emacs users, for example).

I don't know if it would be worth it to actually do this, but it would
make an interesting kernel hacking project for someone wishing to
learn about the vfs layer.

Warner