Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 13:58:11 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Thomas Gellekum <tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New resource on freefall.

David Kelly wrote:

> Thomas Gellekum writes:
> > Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org> writes:
> > >
> > > No.  But I think it would be reasonable for people to add their own in
> > > realtime to ${HOME}/.icbm. :-)
> >
> > Format?
>
> I think its in printcap(5)-like format like this:
>
> David Kelly|N4HHE:\
>         :lat=N34:47.780:\
>         :lon=W086:45.147:\
>         :mail=dkelly@hiwaay.net:\
>         :www=http://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly:

This type of information -- phone number, office location, etc., is
typically kept in the password file gecos field.  See passwd(5) for
more information.  The FreeBSD chpass(1) program currently asks the
user for an "Other information" field, we can supply three sub-fields
for lattitude and longitude in decimal degrees (North and East as
positive values) and altitude in decimal meters.  Example:

	wes@homer$ chpass

You see the followin in your EDITOR:

	#Changing user database information for wes.
	Shell: /usr/local/bin/bash
	Full Name: Wes Peters
	Location: Great Salt Lake
	Office Phone: 801.915.2061
	Home Phone:
	Other information: 40.55/-111.90/1470.77

The resulting gecos field is:

	Wes Peters,Great Salt Lake,801.915.2061,,40.55/-111.90/1470.77

This seems more "UNIXy" to me.