Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 1997 18:04:05 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re(2): isdn cards

Hi,

> > I have just been kicking around the idea of using the motorola isdn
> > bitsurfr pro ISA (ie, the internal card as oppossed to the external
> > Has anyone tried this?
> So, IMHO, if you want a quick getaway stick with the external TA
> (avoiding the PnP aggro), but if you are talking of a real development
> project, why not leverage the work that has been done for Euro-ISDN
> and go for one of the cards already supported under FreeBSD by
> the BISDN package?  The hardware reverse-engineering has already been done,
> so the remaining work is to implement whichever D channel protocol
> your teleco has implemented.
>
> The two main cards supported by BISDN are the Teles BRI/16.3 and the
> AVM A1.  Teles certainly sell a USA-specific card "BRI/U", which
> is just the 16.3 with an on-board NT1 ("U" interface to "S" interface
> convertor - with Euro-ISDN, the Teleco provides the NT1).
> Details are at the Teles USA web site http://teles.winterlan.net/
> (their 'home' site is http://www.teles.de/).  AVM (http://www.avm.de)
> also apparently do a USA version of their A1 card, as their web page
> offers drivers for it, but I can't find any more details.

I checked out these sites and see teles offering the card for
$159US, which is considerably better than the bitsurfr:

http://teles.winterlan.net/teles.www/news.htm#special

Anyone care to speculate exactly how much work it would be to start
with the existing BISDN driver and one of these cards and get to the
point of having a working ISDN for FreeBSD solution?

Where could one find the protocal specs for "the D channel"?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD