Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:08:20 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Satyajeet Seth <sseth@sasken.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org, gbnaidu@sasken.com
Subject:   Re: Ping Problem

Satyajeet Seth wrote:

> > An upgrade within the '4' family should be pretty painless.
>
> I tried using a FreeBSD4.1.1 system, but the problem is still there.
> I suppose for now, my hack on FreeBSD4.1 will serve the purpose. Am I
> correct?

well 4.1.1 has the autosrc command which does what you are doing with your hack.

> I tried putting 'options BRIDGE' in my configuration file. But now ARP
> resolution of pseudo ethernet interface returned MAC address of fxp0. So I
> reverted back.

wierd this suggests a packet somewhere is getting misdirected somewhere

> > > 2. #ping 10.0.36.134
> > > This does not work.
> >
> > probably the arp packets are never getting back to the right interface
> >
> > You need to do more packet tracing.
> > does the packet hit the wire?
> Yes
> > does the target respond?
> Yes
> > is there a arp packet before it?
> Yes
> > does the dest respond tothe arp?
> Yes
> > does the response appear in the arp table?
> Yes
> > does the destination in turn send an arp request before responding to
> the  ping?
> No.
>
> > does the arp response
> (broadcast) get assigned to an interface?
> > does it get answered?
> > from which interface?
> > does  the response hit the wire?
> The answer to above three queries is no, because destination does not in
> turn send an arp request before responding to the ping.

I guess it learns from the arp enquiry.

> The ICMP request packets are reaching pseudo ethernet interface. But
> it is not responding back. This happens even if an ARP entry for the
> destination is there. Could you suggest what could be the problem?
>

> > why does the PC send to the default router? netmask problems I think
> > mask == ffffffff is probably a problem.
>
> Setting the same mask as fxp0 helps.

does this mean that your problem is solved or just helped a bit?

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org