Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 19:37:59 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Jake <jake@checker.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: devfs on /dev?

On Sun, May 24, 1998 at 12:13:01PM -0700, Jake wrote:
> Is the purpose of devfs to be mounted on /dev?
> can I safely move /dev to /dev.old and use
> devfs                   /dev           devfs   rw              0       0
> in /etc/fstab?
> Should I put "options	DEVFS_ROOT" in my kernel config?
> I saw that in a search of the mailing lists, but don't think its in LINT.
> I'm running -current from a few days ago.

Just put
# DEVFS and SLICE are experimental but work.
# SLICE disables too much old code so enabling it in LINT would be bad
options         DEVFS                   #devices filesystem
options                SLICE                   #devfs based disk handling

in your config.  This is from LINT (but SLICE is commented out there).

Be aware that this break disklabel -e and handling disks from sysinstall.

Eivind.