Date:      Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:01:38 -0400
From:      Sean <rsh.lists@comcast.net>
To:        Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade, -CURRENT & SMP

Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

> I have three machines which I just upgraded from 5.4 to -CURRENT.  They
> are two SMP desktops and a UP laptop.
>
> After building world and installing, I started to run portupgrade on my
> systems.  On the laptop, everything has been running smoothly..  On both
> SMP systems, portupgrade hangs.  top shows the ruby18 process stuck in
> the *vnode state.  On one machine, which I can't physically access, it's
> been this way for hours.  I can't ssh into this machine, and only have
> access to sessions that were connected before the hang.  On my home
> machine (which I can physically access), I've been able to log in on the
> virtual consoles and reboot when this happens (though it's not ever able
> to sync all buffers and cleanly unmount /).  It's now happened with 5 or
> 6 consecutive attempts at portupgrade on this machine.  The most recent
> time this happened, on a hunch, I built a UP kernel, rebooted, and tried
> portupgrade again.  It's now been running for two hours without hanging
> (previous record was less than five minutes).
>
> I've googled around a bit for this problem, but haven't come across
> anythign yet.  Has anyone seen this before?  I'll gladly submit a pr,
> but I'm just looking for more idea, or maybe some confirmation from
> others who have seen this.
>
> Adam

Adam,

Thought you might be interested. I booted with an older kernel I made
back in January, and all portupgrades worked without problems.

The config for this build and my one build a week or three ago are the
same. So I would figure that this would suggest that it is most likely
not the port, but something in the recent source for the kernel?

				Sean