Date:               Mon, 23 Oct 1995 09:44:54 EST
From:      "David Alderman" <DAVE@persprog.com>
To:        Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:         Re: Functional differences between various 486 CPUs

> Clock	Manu.	Chip	Price (Oz dollars, don't panic!)
> 66MHz	IBM	486	$93
> 66MHz	Intel	486	$199
> 100Mhz	Intel	486	$264
> 100MHz	AMD	486	$156
> 100MHz	IBM	486	$145
>
> Which ones are 5v and 3.5v, which 3.5v parts have the onboard regulator to
> allow using them in old motherboards like mine, and what differences are there
> in regard to cache & onboard maths copro presence?

All currently manufactured AMD parts are 3.5 volts if I'm not
mistaken (contact www.amd.com and browse around).  IBM's line of
processors do not have floating point units the last time I looked.
I think it is safe to say that ANY 100Mhz part is 3.5 volt.  There
are some companies that take 3.5 volt parts and install them on a
litlle circuit board with regulator that plugs into a 5V 486 socket.
I don't know how good these are at running FreeBSD.  Does anyone out
there have any idea?
When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com