Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:34:54 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Rob <bitabyss@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>, Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
Subject:   RE: Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

> David, this is getting really tiring. Do you have such much as a shred
> of evidence to support your assertion that Microsoft was really
> afraid of anything?  Yes or no. If you have no evidence, go away. If you
> have
> evidence, present it.

> Ted

Nothing would satisfy you except perhaps a video tape of Bill Gates being
nervous.

When we talk about a corporation being motivated by fear, we know that a
corporation is not a human being and has no feelings. It can't actually be
afraid of anything.

However, tons of evidence from that time period suggests that Microsoft
feared that the Internet could pose a threat to its Windows monopoly in
various ways. Tons and tons of evidence supported this view, and the
antitrust trial (which Microsoft lost) was about precisely this.

I don't deny that Microsoft later found ways to profit from IE. I don't even
deny that these ways may have motivated later actions. However, there is no
evidence whatsoever that Microsoft saw root key inclusion as a way to profit
from IE during the browser wars. There is simply not one shred of evidence
to support this view.

If Ted had any, he'd present it.

I don't deny that it's possible. I don't deny that had Microsoft thought of
that at the time, it likely would have motivated them. I simply deny that
Microsoft thought of it at the time.

This would require a kind of foresight on Gates' part that he simply didn't
have.

It really doesn't matter whether Bill Gates genuinely feared that the
Internet could topple his OS monopoly by making OS unimportant or if he was
just covering his bases. The fact is, he acted to leverage his Windows
monopoly to kill IE and the only reason with any evidence at all to support
it was that it is that this was to protect Windows.

You may find some evidence to suggest that Microsoft thought that the
browser might be a way to control other markets. For example, if your
browser defaults to your portal, then your book selling site might have an
advantage over a competitor's. It's quite possible that this also motivated
Microsoft to think winning the browser wars was important.

There is just no evidence that root key issues had any role in the browser
wars. Ted insists they did against all evidence.

DS